Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Blog Post #3

     This video was extremely moving to me; it honestly touched my heart. Some of these students are not able to communicate verbally with their teacher, so trying to use methods such as pointing out letters to spell a word can be time consuming. Having a computer enables these students to type out what they want to say in half the time that it takes to point letters out. Other students were having trouble turning assignments in on time, but being able to use a computer they are right on track.
     Technology in a Special Education classroom is not only beneficial for the students, but also for the teacher. Having computers speeds up the time it takes for the students to complete an assignment, or even just ask the teacher a question. This enables the teacher to spend more time teaching, and helping them understand what he/she is teaching. The students can also be more involved and will be more interested in what they are learning about. I believe it is just as important, if not more, to use technology in Special Education as it is to use it in a regular classroom.

app for ipad     The Dexteria app is designed to to improve fine motor skills, and was voted top 10 Tried and True classroom apps by teachers with apps. It allows the students to practice finger sequencing and isolation, fine motor manipulation and control, and will improve finger control and stroke sequencing. The students will be able to perform these tasks after warming their hands and fingers up by using this app. The best part of it, they are still having fun doing it! 


  
social media count 
Gary Hayes Social Media Count
     This media counter is absolutely outrageous; the numbers are climbing by the second! Being able to connect with the entire world through technology is a wonderful thing. Also, to know that we are expanding the way we learn, and spreading that knowledge to everyone we can is unreal; I can not begin to imagine what we will be able to do in the future. We have already come so far in every aspect of our lives due to the rapid and overwhelming growth of technology.
     I have to admit that the more information I find, the more apprehensive I become. I am really beginning to wonder if technology is going to totally take over the world. Will there be no need for teachers one day? This does scare me! I love what we can do with all of these gadgets these days, but I want to teach. I want to have a job when I finish college. I don't think it will happen soon, but I do believe it will happen. It is definitely something for us as future educators to think about.


Michael Wesch: A Vision of Students Today
     This video sends out a powerful message. From a student's point of view: We go to class to listen to a teacher lecture about something that, at the time, has no meaning to us. They write on a chalkboard, or read word for word from a power-point, these facts that we must know for a test. There is nothing there to grab our attention! Everything outside of the classroom is so fast paced, so to sit in a desk is just plain boring. I'm not saying that education it isn't important; I know how important having an education is. I am saying that we are not being educated for the way the world is now, or the way it is going to be in years to come.
     I am sure that it is disturbing as a teacher or professor to see this type of thing. Of course they want their students to learn, that is why they do what they do. But the fact still remains that technology is the last resource to enter the classroom. If the educators are not adapted to the technology, how can they use it to teach? Also, if the schools do not provide the resources, how can the students learn the importance of technology in the classroom? This is exactly why I think other programs should adapt to style of EDM 310.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Natasha,

    You did a thorough job this week. Your links work properly and you have the necessary title tags for your images. The only issue I had was finding your post since you did't title it Blog Post #3.

    Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not realize that, but I fixed it. Thank You!

    ReplyDelete